2 July 2010

Canning Town Blues

If you didn't already know, the Barclays Cycle Superhighways are currently being rolled-out across London. I've had a ride along (bits of) the Highway from Cable Street onwards - and now its arrived in my part of East London:

Work started on repainting the old Green Cycle Lane along this stretch of the A13 yesterday morning...
 ...and by the afternoon, they'd moved along quite a bit. Slight battle between Cyclists and Pedestrians yesterday, as the only lane available was the walking path. Really, the fella on his bike should have dismounted as the sign asked - naughty! The original cycle-lane wasn't in too poor a condition, but I don't think this has been resurfaced, just painted. You can't really confuse the Cycle Lane and the walkway now, can you? :)
SHARE:

3 comments

The Woollen Typist said...

So blue...haven't had any spring up in the West of London yet...and if they aren't resurfacing and just painting over the green ones, that kind of just sucks.
The gutters here are rather bumpy and damaged...East and South East London are like cycling heaven to a West Londoner...well at least to me anyway.

Also I bet people will still be parking in them come 6pm or the weekends...oh and let's not forget those delivery vans...always parking everywhere regardless of double yellow lines, single yellow lines, bus lanes, cycle lanes!

Sorry...that was a very negative comment. I actually look forward to seeing how this whole cycling superhighway thing goes...maybe the bright blue colour will help...who knows.

xx:)

Dottie said...

I'll be interested to hear how these blue strips change cycling in London. I know there are a lot of complaints about the "superhighway" but it's still more than Chicago has.

Lady Vélo said...

@ TWT: You're right (and no, it's not a negative comment dear!) - it does suck. They didn't resurface the path at all. It's not in bad condition, but I assumed that they would do something other than paint it over... hmmm... I wonder when you will see some blue at your end?

@ Dottie: I shall keep you posted - I hope that they will improve the cycling conditions in London... somehow.

© V E L O C I T Y G I R L | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig